Darren Miller focuses his practice on real estate construction and development and other transactional matters. He is a member of the firm’s Campus Infrastructure & Community Development team.
What do you focus on?
I represent owners, developers and lenders in structuring, negotiating and interpreting EPC, design-build, design and construction contracts for projects ranging from apartment complexes, shops and manufacturing facilities to more specialized institutional buildings such as hospitals, museums and schools.
I enjoy just how tangible the work I do is. One of my favorite projects involved representing an international client in the multi-million dollar design and construction of its flagship New York City retail store. In another, I helped a client negotiate the architect and construction contracts for a $13 million museum. Both projects are now complete and can be visited and enjoyed by the public.
Commercial real estate
In addition to my construction practice, I represent clients in structuring and negotiating a variety of commercial real estate transactions, from acquisitions and sales to leases.
What do you see on the horizon?
I’m following sustainability’s continuing movement from an aspirational trend to a real market influence and driver. More and more end users are demanding sustainable features in the spaces they are using, creating unique challenges and opportunities for owners and developers.
Representative Construction Matters
- Represented higher education client in negotiation of design-build contract for the design and construction of $13 million student housing facility.
- Represented higher education client in negotiation of architect’s and construction agreements for the design and construction of $43 million student housing facility.
- Represented client in negotiation of design-build agreement for the design and construction of $15 million food production facility.
- Represented client in negotiation of architect’s and construction contracts for the interior renovation of office space.
- Represented client in negotiation of architect’s and construction contracts for design and construction of $13 million museum facility.
- Represented hospital client in negotiation of construction management agreement for 192,000-square-foot expansion of its health care facilities.
- Represented retail client in construction matters connected with the multimillion-dollar design and construction of its flagship New York City store.
Representative Real Estate Matters
- Represented various clients in connection with a variety of purchase and sale transactions.
- Represented telecommunications client in negotiation and permitting of various telecommunications facility sites.
- Represented various clients, as landlords and tenants, in connection with a variety of leasing matters.
- “Terminating the ‘Just Not American Enough’ Idea: Saying ‘Hasta La Vista’ to the Natural Born Citizen Requirement of Presidential Eligibility,” 57 Syracuse Law Review 97 (2006).