Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
BANKRUPTCY & FINANCIAL RESTRUCTURING
We protect and preserve value for companies in distress, protect creditor interests and uncover investment opportunities involving troubled assets — all with a vigilant focus on future growth.
Corporate bankruptcy has evolved.
In the new economy, fewer businesses in distress are charting a course of traditional reorganization. Companies are taking advantage of cheaper access to capital and pursuing refinancings, restructurings, sales and acquisitions. We help them or their creditor constituencies explore options such as fast-paced Section 363 bankruptcy sales and other distressed investment strategies.
Our focus on industry nuances is a significant advantage. Financial restructuring solutions aren’t one-size fits all and are shaped by market and regulatory forces. We know the dynamics and players unique to a variety of industries—from real estate and financial services, to health care and manufacturing, to infrastructure and beyond. In all instances, our goal is to protect existing assets and unlock new value.
Our team is always focused on being high-level business counselors as well as legal advisors. We address operational inefficiencies, facilitate balance sheet restructuring, advance turnaround plans, draft agreements that guard against future risk and (when necessary) wind down and liquidate.
We help our clients focus on the future by taking a strategic approach to:
- Asset protection
- Reorganization planning
- Debt restructuring
- Investor recoveries
- Asset acquisitions and sales
- Pre-bankruptcy counseling
- Loan workouts and forbearance agreements
- Asserting creditors’ rights in insolvency proceedings
- Collateral liquidation
- Real estate foreclosure modification and workouts
- Avoidance litigation, including preference and fraudulent transfer actions
Who we work with
- Secured and unsecured lenders
- Buyers and sellers of distressed businesses
- Investors including private equity and hedge funds
- Indenture trustees, domestic and off-shore collateral managers, administrative agents, and issuers
- Creditor committees
- Equity holders and equity committees
- Company management
- Equipment lessors
- Non-debtor contract parties
- Subordinated debt holders
- Claim acquirers
Represented Connecticut-based, nonprofit health care system, Lawrence & Memorial Corporation, on its acquisition of the assets of Rhode Island's The Westerly Hospital
Represented Connecticut-based, nonprofit health care system, Lawrence & Memorial Corporation, on its acquisition of the assets of Rhode Island’s The Westerly Hospital and certain affiliated companies. This transaction was recognized in 2014 as “Healthcare/Life Sciences Deal of the Year” by M&A Advisor.
- Bruegger's Moving Toward Sale
Rochester Business Journal | April 29, 2016
New York City Financial Restructuring & Bankruptcy counsel Chris Desiderio is quoted in this article about a U.S. Bankruptcy Court sale of Flour City Bagels LLC.
- After Bankruptcies, Murky Future for California POBs
The Bond Buyer | April 28, 2016
New York City Financial Restructuring & Bankruptcy partner Robert Christmas is quoted extensively throughout this article about the future of pension obligation bonds in California in the wake of the San Bernardino and Stockton bankruptcies.
- Former Apple Supplier GTAT Gets Nod On Ch. 11 Plan
Law360 | March 9, 2016
The following coverage notes that GT Advanced Technologies Inc. can leave Chapter 11 with a reorganization plan that puts its exit lender in control of the reorganized business. Manchester Financial Restructuring & Bankruptcy partner Dan Sklar is identified as debtor counsel.