Diversity enlivens our workplace. It jostles traditional thinking and brings rich experience to our clients and communities.
Our priority is to attract, retain and promote individuals of all genders. And our talent must reflect an array of racial, ethnic, social, economic, religious and personal backgrounds. Nixon Peabody is recognized as a diversity leader by important measures like the Corporate Equality Index. We are incredibly proud of our 100% rating and actively work to keep it.
While we are proud of our diversity record, we know our actions going forward are the more important story. Through continuous attention to recruitment, training, mentoring and policies we will achieve our goal of ever greater diversity in the future.
- ACLU Foundation LGBT Advocacy Award (2014)
- Chambers: Women in Law—Most Innovative Gender Initiative award has honored Nixon Peabody as a finalist for 2013.
- Human Rights Campaign’s (HRC) Corporate Equality Index gave Nixon Peabody its highest rating (100%) on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) equality in corporate America. Nixon Peabody was named to the HRC’s 2013 “Best Places to Work For (LGBT) Equality” list.
- Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF), an organization dedicated to advancing the interests of women at law firms, recognized Nixon Peabody with a Gold Standard Certification Award. Achieving this distinction means that a significant number of women have attained the highest leadership levels at Nixon Peabody. The firm is one of only 50 law firms to meet WILEF’s “Gold Standard” criteria.
- Work Life Matters magazine named Nixon Peabody among the “Top Companies for LGBT Equality” in recognition of the firm’s diversity programs and initiatives. Work Life Matters is a national publication that educates executives and advocates about the importance of work life services and resources throughout the nation’s workforce.
- Vault included Nixon Peabody in its 2012 rankings of the “Top 100 Firms for Diversity.” Nixon Peabody was ranked in three categories, earning #17 for overall diversity, #17 for diversity with respect to minorities and #13 for diversity with respect to LGBT. Vault’s 2012 rankings were based on the responses of 16,000 associates across the U.S. This is the second time Vault has recognized Nixon Peabody for outstanding diversity.
- The Rosoff Awards recognized Nixon Peabody in the “Diversity Initiative: Internal” category for its firmwide “Diversity Challenge” program that focuses on driving diverse recruiting and retention. The program challenges each attorney to devote 40 hours annually to a diversity initiative or activity.
- Niagara County Transgender Woman Secures Name Change
Buffalo News | May 6, 2014
The pro bono work of Buffalo Commercial Litigation associate Lynnette Nogueras-Trummer was featured in this article about a transgender woman who was able to secure a name change after being unable to pay the court filing fee.
- Closing Argument: Learning to Celebrate You
USF Lawyer | May 1, 2014
San Francisco associate Cameron Cloar authored this contributed column discussing the firm’s pro bono involvement in partnering with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Southern California to protect the rights of a Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) club and its members at California’s Sultana High School.
- Women Are Leading Law Firms
Long Island Business News | March 14, 2014
Real Estate practice group leader Denise Pursley, immediate past Long Island office managing partner, is quoted in this piece discussing female leaders in the law.