We push each other to ever-greater pro bono service.
From representing international refugees fleeing persecution to helping low-income entrepreneurs launch a business, we give our time and skills to ensure equal access to justice. In fact, we have a partner dedicated to connecting our lawyers to opportunities for pro bono service. As a signatory to the Pro Bono Institute’s Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge©, Nixon Peabody has committed to spending more than 3% of our time on pro bono.
Our pro bono program has many touch points. We are involved with many societal issues ranging from reducing gun violence to preventing racial profiling and ensuring diversity in education. We partner with clients providing pro bono service, often serving side-by-side with them. We develop community-minded lawyers of the future by getting all of our summer associates involved in pro bono projects. And some of our attorneys tap their backgrounds and contacts in government to contribute pro bono service at the policy level—shaping legislation that addresses tomorrow’s challenges.
At Nixon Peabody, we give billable credit for pro bono work and recognize our lawyers’ achievements through an awards program and at evaluation time. We believe our time giving back is time well spent.
Nixon Peabody’s 2013 pro bono numbers
- 59 pro bono hours per attorney
- 4.1% of billable hours spent on pro bono
- 37,949 pro bono hours worked
- 89% of attorneys did pro bono projects
- New York City Bar Justice Center Pro Bono Award (2014)
- LGBT Advocacy Award from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Southern California (2014)
- William E. McKnight Volunteer Service Award (2014)
- Legal Services for Children Pro Bono Leadership Award (2014)
- PAIR Outstanding Pro Bono Mentor Award (2014)
- NHBA Distinguished Service to the Public Award (2014)
- Long Island Coalition for the Homeless Corporate Partner Award (2013)
- Rita Bourgeois Leadership Award (2013)
- REACH Pro Bono Award (2013)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly Excellence in the Law Award for Pro Bono (2013)
- CASA de Maryland Social Justice Award (2013)
- Pro Bono Award, United States District Court for the Western District of New York State (2012)
- Legal Aid Society Pro Bono Award (2012)
- Lawyers Alliance for New York Cornerstone Award (2012)
- NYC Bar Association Jeremy G. Epstein Pro Bono Award (2012)
- NYLJ “Lawyers Who Lead By Example” (2012)
- LCAV Outstanding Pro Bono Contribution Award (2012)
- Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) Allegiance Award (2012)
- Legal Counsel for the Elderly Pro Bono Award (2012)
- WBASNY Hanna S Cohn Pro Bono Award (2012)
- 2012 William E. McKnight Volunteer Service Award (2012)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly Excellence in Pro Bono Award (2012)
- Center for Gender and Refugee Studies Pro Bono Award (2012)
- Rochester’s 29th Annual Arts Award (2012)
- 60 NP lawyers were honored as Empire State Counsel for their pro bono service by the NYSBA (2012) (Awarded February 2013)
- People on the Move
Boston Business Journal | June 12, 2014
This news brief notes that Boston Government Investigations & White Collar Defense associate Hannah Bornstein earned the 2014 Outstanding Pro Bono Mentor Award from the Political Asylum/Immigration Representation Project (PAIR) for her pro bono commitment to representing asylum-seekers.
- NH DMV wrong to deny "COPSLIE" license plate, supreme court rules
Union Leader | May 8, 2014
This article notes the pro bono work of Manchester Commercial Litigation associate Anthony Galdieri and Manchester Government Investigations & White Collar Defense practice group leader Dave Vicinanzo, who represented the New Hampshire Civil Liberties Union in this free-speech matter in front of the New Hampshire Supreme Court involving a local man’s bid to obtain a vanity license plate.
- Niagara County Transgender Woman Secures Name Change
Buffalo News | May 6, 2014
The pro bono work of Buffalo Commercial Litigation associate Lynnette Nogueras-Trummer was featured in this article about a transgender woman who was able to secure a name change after being unable to pay the court filing fee.