We push each other to ever-greater pro bono service.
From representing international refugees fleeing persecution to helping low-income entrepreneurs launch a business, we give our time and skills to ensure equal access to justice. In fact, we have a partner dedicated to connecting our lawyers to opportunities for pro bono service. As a signatory to the Pro Bono Institute’s Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge©, Nixon Peabody has committed to spending more than 3% of our time on pro bono.
Our pro bono program has many touch points. We are involved with many societal issues ranging from reducing gun violence to preventing racial profiling and ensuring diversity in education. We partner with clients providing pro bono service, often serving side-by-side with them. We develop community-minded lawyers of the future by getting all of our summer associates involved in pro bono projects. And some of our attorneys tap their backgrounds and contacts in government to contribute pro bono service at the policy level—shaping legislation that addresses tomorrow’s challenges.
At Nixon Peabody, we give billable credit for pro bono work and recognize our lawyers’ achievements through an awards program and at evaluation time. We believe our time giving back is time well spent.
Nixon Peabody’s 2013 pro bono numbers
- 59 pro bono hours per attorney
- 4.1% of billable hours spent on pro bono
- 37,949 pro bono hours worked
- 89% of attorneys did pro bono projects
- Legal Services for Children Pro Bono Leadership Award (2014)
- NHBA Distinguished Service to the Public Award (2014)
- Long Island Coalition for the Homeless Corporate Partner Award (2013)
- Rita Bourgeois Leadership Award (2013)
- REACH Pro Bono Award (2013)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly Excellence in the Law Award for Pro Bono (2013)
- CASA de Maryland Social Justice Award (2013)
- Pro Bono Award, United States District Court for the Western District of New York State (2012)
- Legal Aid Society Pro Bono Award (2012)
- Lawyers Alliance for New York Cornerstone Award (2012)
- NYC Bar Association Jeremy G. Epstein Pro Bono Award (2012)
- NYLJ “Lawyers Who Lead By Example” (2012)
- LCAV Outstanding Pro Bono Contribution Award (2012)
- Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) Allegiance Award (2012)
- Legal Counsel for the Elderly Pro Bono Award (2012)
- WBASNY Hanna S Cohn Pro Bono Award (2012)
- 2012 William E. McKnight Volunteer Service Award (2012)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly Excellence in Pro Bono Award (2012)
- Center for Gender and Refugee Studies Pro Bono Award (2012)
- Rochester’s 29th Annual Arts Award (2012)
- 60 NP lawyers were honored as Empire State Counsel for their pro bono service by the NYSBA (2012) (Awarded February 2013)
- Get a Lawyer Son, Get a Real Good (and Pro Bono) One
Huffington Post | August 19, 2013
The CEO of Impact Energies authored this column on the importance of legal support for emerging for-profit social enterprises. The column notes Impact Energies' experiences working with Nixon Peabody on a pro bono basis and specifically highlights working with New York City Securities counsel Dan McAvoy.
- Legacy of Service Marks Jack Berman Award Winners
California Bar Journal | February 1, 2013
Los Angeles patents partner Seth Levy is featured in this story highlighting previous winners of the Jack Berman Award of Achievement, which is presented to young lawyers who have shown an extraordinary commitment to pro bono service.
- Demand for Legal Civil Service Swells
Long Island Business News | January 25, 2013
In this feature article focused on law firm pro bono service, pro bono partner Stacey Slater discusses the importance of pro bono service provided by our Long Island office attorneys.