We push each other to ever-greater pro bono service.
From representing international refugees fleeing persecution to helping low-income entrepreneurs launch a business, we give our time and skills to ensure equal access to justice. In fact, we have a partner dedicated to connecting our lawyers to opportunities for pro bono service. As a signatory to the Pro Bono Institute’s Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge©, Nixon Peabody has committed to spending more than 3% of our time on pro bono.
Our pro bono program has many touch points. We are involved with many societal issues ranging from reducing gun violence to preventing racial profiling and ensuring diversity in education. We partner with clients providing pro bono service, often serving side-by-side with them. We develop community-minded lawyers of the future by getting all of our summer associates involved in pro bono projects. And some of our attorneys tap their backgrounds and contacts in government to contribute pro bono service at the policy level—shaping legislation that addresses tomorrow’s challenges.
At Nixon Peabody, we give billable credit for pro bono work and recognize our lawyers’ achievements through an awards program and at evaluation time. We believe our time giving back is time well spent.
Nixon Peabody’s 2014 pro bono numbers
- 59 pro bono hours per attorney
- 4.1% of billable hours spent on pro bono
- 39,947 pro bono hours worked
- 88% of attorneys did pro bono projects
- Accountability Counsel’s Partner-in-Justice Award (2015)
- San Francisco Bar Justice and Diversity Center Pro Bono Award (2015)
- Pro Bono Partnership Volunteer of the Year (2015)
- New York’s Law, Consulting & Business Services Award (2015)
- Louis J. Lefkowitz Pubic Service Award (2015)
- Pro Bono Partnership Volunteer of the Year (2014)
- Volunteer Legal Services Project NYSBA Attorney Emeritus Award (2014)
- New York City Bar Justice Center Pro Bono Award (2014)
- LGBT Advocacy Award from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Southern California (2014)
- William E. McKnight Volunteer Service Award (2014)
- Legal Services for Children Pro Bono Leadership Award (2014)
- PAIR Outstanding Pro Bono Mentor Award (2014)
- NHBA Distinguished Service to the Public Award (2014)
- Long Island Coalition for the Homeless Corporate Partner Award (2013)
- Rita Bourgeois Leadership Award (2013)
- REACH Pro Bono Award (2013)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly Excellence in the Law Award for Pro Bono (2013)
- CASA de Maryland Social Justice Award (2013)
- Pro Bono Award, United States District Court for the Western District of New York State (2012)
- Legal Aid Society Pro Bono Award (2012)
- Lawyers Alliance for New York Cornerstone Award (2012)
- NYC Bar Association Jeremy G. Epstein Pro Bono Award (2012)
- NYLJ “Lawyers Who Lead By Example” (2012)
- LCAV Outstanding Pro Bono Contribution Award (2012)
- Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) Allegiance Award (2012)
- Legal Counsel for the Elderly Pro Bono Award (2012)
- WBASNY Hanna S Cohn Pro Bono Award (2012)
- 2012 William E. McKnight Volunteer Service Award (2012)
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly Excellence in Pro Bono Award (2012)
- Center for Gender and Refugee Studies Pro Bono Award (2012)
- Rochester’s 29th Annual Arts Award (2012)
- 60 NP lawyers were honored as Empire State Counsel for their pro bono service by the NYSBA (2012) (Awarded February 2013)
- Family Promise Welcomes 3 Summit Residents to Board of Directors
The Star-Ledger | July 26, 2015
New York City partner and firmwide pro bono partner Stacey Slater is highlighted among the newest members of the Board of Directors of Family Promise, a national nonprofit headquartered in Summit, NJ, that helps homeless families.
- Pro Bono Spotlight
Daily Record | June 9, 2015
Rochester Immigration and Private Clients senior counsel Patti Morrison is named on a list of attorneys on the May Honor Roll for her pro bono service.
- Someone with Such Strong Character Stays with You
OneJustice Blog | March 25, 2015
Los Angeles Health Care associate Jennifer Cormano is featured in this Q&A discussing NP's pro bono involvement with the DIRECTV legal clinic.