As the first law firm with a Chief Sustainability Officer, we have a unique perspective on how sustainability issues are transforming corporate culture, decision-making and operations.
Nixon Peabody takes a holistic approach to sustainability. We provide integrated services across legal, scientific and engineering disciplines to help our clients deliver sustainable technologies, products and solutions. We drive sustainability throughout our own organization, seeking to reduce our environmental impact. And we strive to be thought leaders and corporate citizens, sharing our experience and partnering with stakeholders to develop innovative solutions to social and environmental challenges.
Nixon Peabody is a leader in helping clients mitigate sustainability-related risks, transform their operations and pursue business opportunities that create long-term value for their organization. We provide advice in areas such as sustainable infrastructure, tax credits, cleantech, green building design, construction, leasing, reporting and disclosure, sustainable supply chains, validation of green claims, and renewable energy project development and finance.
Being responsible stewards of our environment is part of our firm culture. We have identified priority areas and implement sustainable policies and practices firmwide, continuously challenging ourselves to be creative and innovative. We have been recognized “as a pioneer in sustainability . . . the law firm benchmark for effective strategy and execution.”
Ideas and Connecting
At Nixon Peabody we share our experiences and best practices and partner with local and global stakeholders on joint sustainability initiatives. Our attorneys are sought out for speaking engagements and to serve nonprofit organizations with a sustainability mission. We are frequently recognized as the “go-to firm” for domain knowledge in this space.
Who we work with
- Investors and developers of renewable energy projects such as solar, geothermal and wind
- Manufacturers looking to improve operational efficiency while reducing emissions, water and waste
- Businesses trying to manage sustainability-related risks such as climate change, supply chain and license-to-operate
- Marketers of green products and services responding to regulatory enforcement and private litigation regarding environmental claims
- Builders of commercial and large residential buildings negotiating green building design and performance contracts
- Companies pursuing innovative financing for sustainable capital projects
- Institutions using demand response to provide energy reliability and additional revenue
- Businesses seeking access to capital for innovative technology and solutions
- Public and private companies reporting under voluntary and mandatory disclosure frameworks
- Middle market companies responding to sustainable supply chain demands
- Recipient of Most Improved and Highest Score awards (2014 and 2012) for participation in A Better City’s Challenge for Sustainability. Also recognized by ABC for leadership in employee engagement and energy conservation.
- Recipient of the Stakeholders’ 2014 GOBY Award for Building Sustainability Communities, designed to recognize exemplary volunteer services in New York’s Capital Region
- Founding member of Professional Services Sustainability Roundtable
- Founding member of Law Firm Sustainability Network
- The first law firm to participate in EDF Climate Corps, an innovative fellowship program that helps build the business case for energy efficiency
- Piloted American Bar Association’s Sustainability Framework for Law Organizations
- LEED® certification for four offices, including LEED Silver and Gold
- Ranked #3 in Vault’s 2012 List of The Best Law Firms to Work For: Green Category
- Recognized in 2011 by Computerworld as one of the top 12 green IT organizations
- Highlighted in Vault’s Guide to Green Business Programs
- Partner in Environmental Protection Agency’s Green Power Partnership
- Early adopter of ABA/EPA Law Office Climate Challenge, undertaking best practices for office paper management