Mahmood Firouzbakht represents clients in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions with a focus on multifamily housing. In particular, he represents developers in the acquisition, permitting, financing and construction phases of real estate projects.
What do you focus on?
Multifamily housing financing and development
Most recently, I represented an affordable housing developer in redeveloping a historically significant site using historic and low-income housing tax credits as well as various other sources of financing.
Construction and property management
I work with developers and property managers to negotiate construction and management agreements for their projects. For example, I represented a university client in negotiating a construction contract for a $50 million on-campus dorm building in Boston.
General real estate
I also help clients navigate general real estate transactions, including commercial leases, purchase and sale agreements and real estate joint ventures.
What do you see on the horizon?
I see a rising number of real estate transactions in core markets. The keys to success for these transactions will be a keen understanding of the local markets, influence makers and financing sources.
Mahmood has recently represented clients in the transactions listed below:
- Several owners/developers in the acquisition, financing, and rehabilitation of a number of existing multifamily affordable housing developments.
- The owner in the acquisition and financing of a historic building and conversion into affordable housing. The financing included federal and state low-income housing and historic tax credits, tax increment financing, and various sources of construction and permanent debt.
- A Housing Authority client in the refinancing and rehabilitation of several properties under HUD’s mixed finance program. The financing included tax-exempt bond funds as well as the admission of a low-income housing tax credit investor.
- The developer of the Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum in the permitting, financing, and construction of the museum facility located in Boston’s historic Fort Point Channel.
- The general partner of several low-income housing developments in the disposition of assets throughout the United States.
- A leading property manager client in the negotiation of management agreements throughout the United States.