Peter Millock is a senior member of the firm’s Health Services practice.
What do you focus on?
My practice encompasses hospital-to-hospital alignments; affiliations among physicians, hospitals, long-term care providers and mental health and disability services providers; purchases and sales of nursing homes, clinics and medical practices; enforcement matters before New York State agencies; certificate of need and other applications requiring New York State agency approval; and Medicaid and other payor audits.
I have crafted innovative health care arrangements in New York, including the first alignment between a New York and an out-of-state hospital, the first alignment between a Catholic and a secular hospital, one of the first affiliations of long-term care providers and one of the first applications for an assisted living residence in New York State.
Prior to working at the firm, I served for 15 years as general counsel to the New York State Department of Health and am very familiar with its regulations, procedures and protocols. I routinely appear before state regulators.
I also participate in the development of state health regulatory policies and health-related state legislation. For example, I am contributing to deliberations on barriers to private investment in New York health services providers, the future of New York’s certificate of need process, parent/subsidiary relationships in hospital systems and corporate practice of medicine prohibitions. I am a past Chair of the New York State Bar Association’s Health Law Section.
What do you see on the horizon?
I expect a dramatic increase in alignments, mergers, consolidations and affiliations among health care providers of all types to meet the challenges of managed care, cost containment, health care reform and market forces.
Publications and Presentations
- “Observations on the Impact of the Public Health Law and Current Health Department Regulations on Healthcare Organization Governance Structures,” Presented to the New York State Public Health and Health Planning Council, Health Planning Committee, Fall 2012.
- “Improving Capital Access for Health Care Providers in New York State, Overview of Laws and Regulations Related to Ownership and Capital Formation for Health Care Providers,” presented to the New York State Department of Health, Fall 2012.
- “Trends in Health Care Organization and Regulatory Implications: Observations from the Far Side”, presented to the New York State Department of Health, Fall 2012.
- “A Conversation about Hospital Combinations,” New York State Bar Association Health Law Journal, Fall 2009.
- “David Axelrod, M.D.: His Impact on the Law and Public Policy,” New York State Bar Association Health Law Journal, Spring 2009.
- “The Berger Commission and Catholic/Secular Hospital Alignments,” New York State Bar Association Health Law Journal, Fall 2008.