Private Equity & Investment Funds
PRIVATE EQUITY & INVESTMENT FUNDS
Our experience and connections help clients successfully raise capital and execute on deals in the middle market.
The private equity space is dynamic and challenging.
New regulations are taking shape and more exceptional investment opportunities are emerging by the day. With the pace of change in today’s market environment, you need a firm that is ready to deliver results, regardless of the obstacles.
We capture opportunities, manage risks and forecast and overcome the unexpected.
Each stage of an investment cycle is multifaceted and complex. We specialize in forming and managing funds, representing funds in their investments, acting as general counsel for portfolio companies and resolving investment disputes.
Our team can see the flux in the market and is constantly watching for what’s next. With our exceptional network of relationships, we leverage our connections to help source deals and make strategic introductions to keep you and the market moving forward.
In 2013 we ranked as 4th “Most Active for Investment Funds” and 14th for “Private Equity & Venture Capital Deals” by Dow Jones Private Equity Analyst.
As a leader in the middle market, we connect companies with investors through our NP Capital Connector program. We have made more than 1200 introductions to over 300 companies globally. Learn more about NP Capital Connector.
Who we work with:
- Private equity and investment funds
- Consumer products and services companies
- Food and beverage companies
- Health care entities
- Technology companies
- Advised numerous sponsors on fund formations involving buy-outs, venture capital, debt / mezzanine, technology, infrastructure, real estate, energy, hedge, fund-of-fund, secondary, and other investment strategies (ranging in fund size from $10 million to $1 billion+).
- Representation of various emerging fund managers on the successful launch of their first-time funds, as well as counseling on various federal and state programs available to assist many of those managers.
- Representation of multiple groups and individuals in connection with their spin-out from an existing institution and the corresponding start-up of their newly restructured fund operations. Multiple representations involving the transition from fund founders to the next generation of leaders in the firm.
- Counseled the advisory committees and/or specific investors in several investment funds in connection with the transitioning of management from the existing group to a new group (whether as part of “cause”, “no fault” or negotiated circumstances).
- Acted as US counsel to non-US fund sponsors raising capital from US investors and/or making US investments.
- Advised numerous pledge and independent sponsors on their structuring and private equity transactions.
- Served as general counsel for one of the leading fund of funds in the world for more than 25 years. As its general counsel, we represent the client in connection with both the formation of its investment funds and its investments in other funds.
- Representation of a global private markets investor forming fund-of-funds products and providing services in connection with investments in private equity funds.
- Representation of a global investment consulting firm in connection with their alternative investment program. The client serves a diverse client base, including not-for-profit organizations, foundations, and other endowed institutions, as well as corporate, public, and jointly trusteed retirement funds. They currently serve 160 retainer clients with combined assets of more than $1 trillion.
Fund Investments and Co-Investments
- Extensive representation of various investors (including state pension systems, institutional investors, family offices, foundations, and fund-of-funds) on their investment in leading investment funds in the US and abroad.
- Represented a customized funds investment group in connection with more than 300 investments in various private equity funds. In addition, we have represented them as fund counsel in the organization and offering of a number of sponsored private equity funds that are offered to various institutional and high-net-worth investors.
- Advised multiple limited partners and institutional investors in connection with their fund co-investment transactions.
Fund Secondary Transactions
- Advised numerous institutional investors on significant fund secondary sale transactions – some of which involved 100+ investment funds and/or exceeded $1 billion+ of commitments.
- Represented various secondary buyers on their acquisition of limited partnership interests in investments funds.
- Extensive advice to sponsors and investors on fund secondary auction processes, including bidding, documentation, negotiation, transfer agreements, and closing.
Acquisitions and Private Equity Investments
- Represent multiple sponsors on their acquisitions of companies (in the $10 million to $250 million+ range), many of which are leveraged acquisitions. Wide transactional experience in multiple industries including manufacturing, consumer products, services, food and beverage, technology, health / medical device, and energy.
- Represent sponsors and portfolio companies in connection with their roll-up acquisition strategies.
- Extensive representations of companies conducting a sale or divestiture of their business (whether stock, asset, merger or other, in both proprietary processes and auction sales).
- Represent of multiple venture capital firms and/or companies on venture capital financings.
- Advised various sponsors and companies on growth equity investments.
- Counseling on equity and debt restructurings of portfolio companies, including dividend recapitalizations.
- Represent individuals or groups in management-led buy-outs of companies.
- Making a Play
The Deal | November 22, 2013
Boston Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring partner Rick Pedone discusses efforts by private equity firms to raise funds to invest in distressed companies.
- Zombie Funds: Is it time for managers to finally give up the ghost?
Hedgeweek | November 12, 2013
Boston partner and leader of the firm’s Private Fund Disputes team Jon Sablone discusses “zombie funds,” which provide challenges for the hedge fund world and increasingly for the private equity market.
- Rochester firms work to protect intellectual property
Democrat and Chronicle | September 27, 2013
Rochester Private Equity & Investment Funds counsel Jeremy Wolk discusses the importance of sufficient capital and intellectual property safeguards for startups.