We guide our clients through the intricate tax laws of today with an eye toward maximizing benefits, reducing risk and resolving uncertainty.
Tax law is complex and constantly evolving.
Companies are looking for strategic partners to provide clear and decisive answers to their tax questions—from resolving controversies and facilitating complex transactions to developing sound tax planning strategies.
Moving quickly and efficiently, we use our business perspective to help clients meet their business objectives.
Our experienced, creative tax attorneys not only monitor, but influence new developments in the tax laws and consistently deliver practical, understandable advice to our clients—from domestic, multinational, multistate and small to middle-market businesses, to nonprofit organizations, estates, trusts and individuals.
We have a deep knowledge of tax law in the following areas:
- Employee benefits
- Tax-exempt entities
- Real estate
- Public finance
- Tax litigation
- Personal tax planning
- Estate and trust tax planning
Who we work with
- Financial institutions
- Multistate corporations
- Private clients
- Middle-market businesses (technology, biotechnology, media, health care, etc.)
- Manufacturing companies
- Operating businesses
- International corporations
- Individuals in the U.S. and abroad
- Insurance companies
- Private equity/venture capital firms
- Served as tax counsel for a $500 million tax-free merger of two public companies
- Won a California client’s tax case against the IRS on summary judgment, avoiding a lengthy trial and favorably resolving the issue for future years
- Structured and drafted partnership agreements for operating businesses, investment funds, venture funds, leveraged buyout funds, hedge funds and real estate development ventures
- Designed and completed the post-merger integration and streamlining of two major industry trade associations
- Structured a complex recapitalization and redemption of stock of a large, privately held multinational corporate group in the manufacturing sector
- Designed a practical 50-state sales tax compliance strategy for an Internet-based business
- Obtained IRS Private Letter Rulings and similar assurances from state and local tax authorities
- Defended clients in: IRS audits, at the IRS Appeals Office, federal tax litigation, state tax audits and litigation in numerous states, and state unclaimed property audits and negotiations
- Represented clients making voluntary disclosures of offshore accounts to the IRS
- Recommended as one of the “leading tax firms in the world” in the 6th edition of Tax Directors Handbook 2012, compiled by the publishers of The Legal 500 and Legal Business Magazine.
- Versar picks up J.M. Waller
The Deal | July 2, 2014
Client J.M. Waller Associates’ sale to Versar, Inc. is highlighted in this piece. The coverage notes J.M. Waller’s legal team led by securities practice group leader John Partigan and includes partners Brian Kopp and Christian McBurney; associate Pierce Han; and paralegal Alicia Rotella.
- Do Teleworkers Cause Tax Trouble?
Forbes | November 14, 2013
This article references Nixon Peabody’s Tax Blog post about teleworking employees that could subject an employer to new corporate income taxes.
- Commission Aims to Overhaul State's Tax Code
State House News Service | September 17, 2013
Boston public finance counsel Navjeet Bal, former Commissioner of Revenue for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, have been named to the Tax Fairness Commission which was created to review Massachusetts’ complex tax code.