Employers often face wage-hour issues, whether it’s determining the classification of an employee, knowing when to pay overtime, or navigating various state laws regarding pay. In recent years, wage-hour claims have outnumbered nearly all other workplace disputes. With persistent change on a local, state, and national level, wage-hour compliance has become a central workplace issue.
Nixon Peabody’s Wage-Hour team can simplify the process of compliance. We combine a thorough understanding of the regulatory environment with an understanding of our clients’ businesses to provide efficient, practical counsel on all wage-hour issues.
Our experience and creativity help our clients implement changes that are consistent with business and operational needs. We work as partners with human resource staff, executives, and in-house attorneys in a number of areas.
- On-call counseling: Many wage-hour issues—such as nonexempt classification, pay calculations, payroll docking, and recordkeeping requirements—require prompt and reliable advice. Our team is on-call to answer our clients’ questions and to recommend best practices.
- Wage-hour audit program: We conduct wage-hour audits for clients to protect their companies from litigation, often saving them thousands, and in some cases millions, of dollars. In such audits, we evaluate job descriptions, interview managers, and conduct legal research. Our audits frequently include an analysis of payroll practices and meal period compliance for non-exempt employees. Wage-hour audits customized for your specific business needs are essential to maintain ongoing compliance programs, but audits can be burdensome for both managers and staff. We know how to perform audits without disrupting your operations, so your business can continue to operate the way you need it to.
- Education and training: Our Wage-Hour team provides tailored, in-house trainings for managers and supervisors regarding wage-hour requirements. We also distribute a bi-monthly publication, A Matter of Time: Wage-Hour News You Can Use, which provides practical tips on compensation compliance.
- Federal and state investigations and proceedings: Our attorneys guide employers through the demanding requirements involved with federal and state audits, investigations, or enforcement proceedings, including the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Davis-Bacon Act, and Service Contract Act matters.
- Litigation: Class actions, collective actions, and individual suits involving the FLSA and other wage-hour issues are among the most dangerous cases for employers. Our wage-hour attorneys have the experience, sophisticated tools, and track record of success to defend clients effectively and efficiently in these litigious matters.
No matter what compensation issue an employer may face, our Wage-Hour team can provide efficient and effective compliance assistance.